Happy 100th birthday! On August 25th, the National Park Service turns 100, and there are lots of celebrations planned throughout the entire month. Here are just a few of the special events taking place:
- August 20th: Festival of the Sea (CA): A full day of music and fun along the San Francisco waterfront to celebrate the NPS Centennial.Hosted by San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park, this free event will also feature the re-christening of the 1895 West Coast schooner C.A. Thayer.
- August 25th: Sing Across America (multiple locations): Performances by youth and children’s choirs for the centennial, including event at Yellowstone National Park.
- August 25th through August 28th: free admission to all 412 national parks
- August 27th: Centennial Family Festival on the National Mall (DC): The national park in the heart of the nation’s capital will host a family fun day at Constitution Gardens in celebration of the National Park Service 100th anniversary.
- August 27th: Vintage Baseball (KS): The Wichita Bull Stockings and the Topeka Westerns play 1870s style baseball with vintage uniforms and vintage rules at Fort Scott National Historic Site.
This is just a small sampling of the many TrailblazerGirl-worthy activities going on throughout the National Park system. Check out their website to find the fun happening near you!